SSPA Meetings Worth Watching Again
Silver Spring Progressive Action has been fortunate to have been able to host some outstanding programs with inspiring and dynamic speakers who have helped motivate us in our efforts to tip tight elections. Click below to watch the recordings of some of those meetings.
A Conversation with Anat Shenker-Osario – “Communicating to WIN!”
Wednesday, March 9, 2022
Hear from Anat Shenker-Osorio, host of the “Words to Win By” podcast and Principal and Founder of ASO Communications on why certain messages falter when others deliver. Learn research-based tools to be more persuasive when talking and writing for progressive candidates and causes!
From Voter Suppression to Voting Power – New Initiatives in NC and PA
Tuesday, February 8, 2022
Hear Aimy Steele, ED of the New North Carolina Project, and Kadida Kenner, ED of the New Pennsylvania Project, speak about what their new organizations are doing to combat voter suppression, educate and motivate new voters of color, and expand voting in these two very important states!
SSPA General Meeting: Early Glimpse into the 2022 Outlook
Wednesday, December 15, 2021
Our final gathering of 2021! We had a general catch-up and then hear from Lee Goldberg, our Targeting lead, on what to expect for 2022:
- How can we get a working majority in the Senate – what D seats need protection and what R seats hold the best potential for flipping blue?
- Where can we hold the line on House seats?
- What is the latest with legislatures in key states?
- How is all of this is affected by redistricting?
- And what’s going on in our own state of Maryland?
Meet The Women Who Will Keep Virginia Blue
Thursday, September 30, 2021
Ever since the Virginia state legislature turned blue in 2019, they have been on a whirlwind of activity that has transformed the state. But now, that blue majority is at risk. And what happens in Virginia is a bellwether for the 2022 midterms.
Join SSPA for a conversation with VA Delegate Wendy Gooditis (VA-10) and challenger Debra Gardner (VA-27), two candidates who are in some of the tightest contests to Keep Virginia Blue. Maryland Delegate Lorig Charkoudian (MD-20) will join the discussion, sharing insights on the importance of keeping the legislature Blue and also talking about the importance of money in these races, where a comparatively small amount can make an outsized impact.
Because reproductive justice is on the line, we have added a new speaker to our program – Han Jones, Political Director of Planned Parenthood Action of Virginia, who will talk with us about what’s at stake in this election.
SSPA Program in Honor of Juneteeth
Wednesday, June 16, 2021
Honor the work of Black Americans fighting for the right to vote and racial justice. Hear from three leading Black-led organizations fighting for voting justice:
- Black Voters Matter: Increasing political power and social justice in marginalized, predominantly Black communities.
- Black Leaders Organizing for Communities: Building long-term political power and representation in WI’s Black communities.
- Pennsylvania Voice: 30+ organizations working together to expand power and civic engagement in PA’s communities of color.
Protecting our Democracy with the
FOR THE PEOPLE ACT (HR1 / S1)
Tuesday, March 16, 2021
Learn what it will do and how you can help pass it!
- Senator Chris Van Hollen
- Congressman John Sarbanes
- Wanda Mosley – Black Voters Matter
- Steve Spaulding – Common Cause
- Herb Meisner – Common Cause
Co-sponsored by Chesapeake Climate Action Network, Do The Most Good, Indivisible Montgomery, J Walkers Action Group, MoCoWoMen, Montgomery County Women’s Democratic Club, and NOPE
SSPA First Anniversary Celebration
Thursday, June 25, 2020
Silver Spring Progressive Action (SSPA) celebrated its one year Anniversary with a recap of its work to date, a fantastic musical performance by Crys Matthews and an inspiring keynote by Shane Grannum, discussing voter suppression.