Canvassing Materials for October 24, 2021
Thanks for helping keep Virginia Blue!
Where to meet:
- Launch site: 1208 Wesanne Lane, Midlothian VA 23114
- Launch time: Noon – 3:00 pm (we recommend getting there at about 11:45)
- Remember to wear comfortable shoes, hat, sunglasses, and bring sunscreen, water, snack, rain gear, a CHARGED cell phone. If you can bring a battery phone charger that helps or have a charger in your car. Bring a bag if you want something to hold materials while canvassing.
- Download MiniVan app on your phone (instructions below).
Background to help you prepare:
- A brief and user friendly tutorial (7 1/2 minutes) on how to set up and use MiniVan, the app that tells you what addresses you’ll be canvassing and provides information on the voter you’re talking to.
- A good backgrounder from Swing Left on how to spark conversations while canvassing. It’s a 22 minute video that’s very helpful.
- Debra Gardner Issue Talking Points
- Information about Debra Gardner (campaign web site)
- Information on her opponent, Roxann Robinson (opponent’s web site)
- Background on voting in Virginia, including the last day for early voting.
- A canvassing cheat sheet
- Talking Points for Terry McAuliffe, Democratic Gubernatorial candidate
- Canvassing Script (also available in MiniVan while canvassing)
- General background on Gardner and her opponent Roxann Robinson and House District 27 (Chesterfield and Richmond)
- Del. Roxann Robinson (R), an optometrist by trade, is seeking her sixth full term representing HD-27 after winning the seat in a special election in 2010. She faces a challenge from public sector leader Debra Gardner, who has lived in Chesterfield for three decades. Republicans have held the seat since the mid-1980s, but Robinson won a race against Larry Barnett by less than a percentage point back in 2019, that’s less than 200 votes; and the margins have been tightening recently, as Democrats performed well in the suburbs of Richmond. Gardner also has a slight fundraising lead over the incumbent. VPAP listed the district as one of the competitive races this election cycle.